Conceptual rendering that will evolve over the next year based on community input.
- The City is developing subarea plans for Downtown La Center and Timmen Landing. Plans for the subareas will include conceptual land uses, proposed transportation improvements, and other policies to guide development and support future growth. Each subarea plan will answer the question: what will this area be like in the future and what is the path to get there?
- The City of La Center is looking for a new vision to promote economic and community growth to complement existing businesses.
- We are actively seeking community input to guide the planning process and ensure that the subarea plans will be tailored to meet local needs.
Preliminary Subarea Boundaries
What is a subarea plan?
- A subarea plan is an optional element of the overall Comprehensive Plan for a specific area.
- Subarea plans focus on goals and policies for land use, transportation, and the environment for the specific geographic area. The subarea plans will be used to guide community character, redevelopment, and new investments in Timmen Landing and Downtown La Center.
How can I get Involved?
- Community outreach and engagement are essential to any planning process. We need input from the community to establish a community vision and develop a plan that meets community needs for the future. There will be opportunities to be involved in every stage of the planning process.
- Attend Planning Commission and Council meetings where the Subarea plans are being discussed.
- Attend community workshops or other events in the City where staff will be tabling and provide input on the Subarea Plans. See “Upcoming Events” below.
Timeline and process
The City is working with a Community Advisory Committee of planning-related professionals, community leaders and other at-large community members, and agency staff to provide local expertise and knowledge about existing conditions, community visions principles, and subarea plan concepts. The City will also conduct focus groups to obtain guidance from affected community members, organizations, and property owners concerned with economic development.
Additionally, the City will host a series of community workshops to actively engage with the public, present plan concepts, and hear community feedback.
- Community Workshop #1 – Spring 2024
- Community Advisory Committee Meeting #2 – Spring 2024
Questions or comments?
Please contact Jamie Viveiros, AICP, CFM, Associate Planner, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 264-7664.